My grandma makes the absolute best blueberry muffins. If you think you’ve had the best blueberry muffins, you probably haven’t. Unless you know my grandmother….
She’s coming in town to visit this week, so it got me thinking (drooling) about my favorite homemade indulgence. And let me be VERY clear when I say, indulgence. I’m hoping that she’ll find some time to whip some up while she’s in Dallas, but in the meantime, I’m attempting to morph her extremely decadent recipe into a tad healthier treat packed with whole grains, fiber, and protein.
Here we go.
I found this recipe and thought it looked pretty dang legit, so I made a couple adjustments, and voila, these babies were created.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cup quick oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 3 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Coat muffin tin with cooking spray or liners.
- Combine flour, sugars, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- Combine yogurt, eggs, butter, applesauce, and vanilla in a second bowl.
- Fold yogurt mixture into dry mixture; stir to combine completely.
- Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon into muffin tins.
- Bake until top is golden and springs back when you gently touch it, 18-20 minutes.