A couple of weeks ago I was at Eatzi’s grabbing some essentials, and I stumbled upon the Most. Delicious. Pecans. Ever! They had a sample out, so of course I had to give them a try…and wowza, they blew my mind. They were the perfect combo of sweet and spicy, full of flavor, just all around legit. I was just about to add them to my basket when I glanced at the price tag…$25!
WTF? So, I put the bag back down. Then, I and took a couple more samples…obviously.
And right then and there, I found a new mission in life.
Let me very blunt when I tell you that this is the most high maintenance thing I’ve ever cooked…and I’ve worked with phyllo dough…
Don’t be fooled by the simple recipe. You must dedicate the entire half hour of prep + cook time solely to these pecans. The phone rings? You’ll have to call back later. Your baby took his first steps, sorry kid, some other time. For the next 30 minutes, these pecans are the only thing that matter in life. But listen, they’re worth it.
Sweet and Spicy Pecans
- 3 cups pecan halves
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 – 1 tsp cayenne (depending on how spicy you want it)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil, or foil with cooking spray.
- Beat the egg white with the vanilla in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, combine the egg white mixture, pecans, and seasonings.
- Spread prepared pecans onto the baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 10 – 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note, you’ll want to babysit your nuts while they are cooking so that they don’t burn.
- Once they darken, remove from the oven and allow to cool.